Julie Nichols Matthews is a Partner in the Intellectual Property Group at PIB Law and practices in the areas of trademark, copyright and advertising, consumer privacy and Internet law. She represents clients in a wide range of industries on intellectual property registration, licensing and enforcement matters.
Julie is admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Prior to joining PIB Law, Julie was a Partner at Locke Lord LLP and Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP, where she represented global consumer products companies, recognized brand owners, and emerging media and technology start-up companies on intellectual property matters. Julie has years of experience resolving contentious matters and handling litigation in U.S. Federal Courts and opposition and cancellation disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in foreign trademark offices.
Julie is a member of various professional organizations, including the International Trademark Association (INTA), American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), American Bar Association (ABA), Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law and the Duke Club of Chicago. Julie was recognized by World Trademark Review in 2015 as a leading practitioner in the trademark field.
Julie received her Master of Laws in Intellectual Property, with Honors, from The John Marshall Law School, a Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Duke University.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Choosing and Protecting Your Brand,” Webinar sponsored by Financial Poise, May 20, 2015
- Speaker, "Trade Secrets and Confidentiality," Webinar sponsored by Financial Poise, October 28, 2014
- Speaker, "3D Printing: New Frontiers for Intellectual Property," Chicago Bar Association IP Committee, December 4, 2013
- Author, "Spotlight on 3D Printing: Intellectual Property" Intellectual Property Strategist, October 2013
- Co-author, "Social Media in the Digital Millennium," ABA's Landslide, May 2013
- Co-author, "A Delight for the Senses: Identifying and Protecting Non-traditional Marks," World Trademark Review, April/May 2013
- Speaker, "Trademarks for Startups: Strategies for Success," Entrepreneurs Unplugged Start Up Law Summit, March 16, 2012
- Speaker, "Using Online and Mobile for Branding, Distribution, Selling and Promotion," Edwards Wildman Digital Salon, November 12, 2012
- Author, "Revised 'Green Guides' for Environmentally Friendly Marketing Claims Released by FTC," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, October 2012
- Author, "Federal Trade Commission 'Rocks' Social Gaming Site Operator for FTC Act and COPPA Violations," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP DigiLaw Blog, March 2012
- Co-author, "Makers of Four Loko Malt Beverage Banned from Deceptively Advertising Alcohol Content," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP DigiLaw Blog, October 5, 2011
- Co-Author, "Protecting Your Brand from '.XXX'-ploitation," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, September 2011
- Co-Author, "What's Next: ICANN's New Generic Top-Level Domain Program," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, June 2011
- Co-Speaker, "10 Ways to Advertise and Sell in the Internet Age and Stay on the Right Side of the Law," Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP, October 2010
- Speaker, "Hot and Emerging Legal Issues," Mattel, Inc., in-house clinical for Legal Department, El Segundo, California, August 21, 2008
- Author, "Contemplating a Charitable Sales Promotion? Think Before You Solicit," FindLaw Corporate Counsel Center, Consumer Products Industry Center, November 2000
- Office: Chicago, IL
- Direct: 312.801.4104
- Main: 312.801.4100
- Fax: 312.794.7405
- Email: email@example.com